Advice to Retailers Hiring Additional Staff to Manage Queues and Social Distancing

This guide is about queues outside retail premises.

Many shops are asking customers to queue outside their premises to support social distancing. If you employ people to manage a queue like this, they may need to hold an SIA licence. If they do, and they don’t have one, they will be breaking the law.

Any person contracted from a third party supplier who performs a licensable activity must have an SIA licence (or a Licence Dispensation Notice issued by the SIA to an Approved Contractor).

If the role includes any licensable activities such as preventing disorder or theft, they may be required by law to hold an SIA licence.

This simple guide is intended to help you decide if the person who is supervising the queues should be licensed.

This guide is about queues outside retail premises. Advice about licensed premises where alcohol is sold for consumption on the premises should be sought separately.

Download the SIA Guide HERE